These pages are an archive for the Florida UU Women and Religion chapter that dissolved in 2010. Continental UUW&R is maintaining the site and seeking news of UU women in Florida to include. Fortunately the NE Florida Cluster women continue the retreat tradition with an event each Spring. Watch the UU Women's Events list at right for info!
Please peruse the Conference and Retreat Guides written by Rev. Barbara Child and updated by the FLUUWR group. We think the Guides can serve as a good solid basis for your group to modify for their own, and we invite you to do so! Please send any comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Blessed Be!
A Storytelling Retreat
To prepare for this Retreat, think of the stories which you learned as a child/teen -- the Latin/Greek/Celtic/other Goddess stories. Secondly, think of the "stories of your life" -- Siblings, Moving, First Day of School, Graduation, Marriage, Baby(ies), Divorces, Single Years, Best Year, Worst Year -- what "characters" did you play in these stories? Who were you 20 years ago? Who are you now? What's YOUR Story?
THE ART OF STORYTELLING
Lynn Carol Henderson and UU women from around Florida invite you to share this weekend of ritual feasting of womanspirit and adventuring into sacred space. Step up to the table and explore for yourself women’s ritual art in action.
- Friday night graze through fields of the Goddess in an opening ritual combining storytelling performance and the creation of a group mandala.
- Saturday morning digest the art of storytelling, empowering yourself as you create ready-to-tell Goddess tales from your own life.
- Saturday afternoon dip into the workshops and try your hand at Storytelling through DANCE, IMPROV!, COLLAGE, and STORYBOARD.
- Saturday night – BE the Banquet – Sharing Circle filled with laughter and group connections.
- Sunday morning - stay with us for dessert -- the closing mandala ceremony.
- Religious Affiliation:
- St. Petersburg Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Registrar)
- Greensong Grove (1st Degree Wiccan)
- Reformed Congregation of the Goddess (Attender)
- Daughters of the Earth and SisterSpirit (Pan-Indian Spirituality Circles)
- BA: Art and Art History, University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia
- MFA and teaching certification K-12: Washington University, St, Louis
- Ph.D. Art History and Women's Studies with a focus in Women's Ritual Art, Union Institute and University, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Foreign Studies: Art, Language, Shamanism and Healing Modalities Italy, France, Mexico, Guatemala, Peru, Chile
- Work Experience
- 1980-Present: Ritual leader in Women's Spirituality Groups and Drumming Circles
- 1989-Present: Adjunct Professor, Eckerd College Courses: Magic, Myth and Ritual in Art Collage, Art Appreciation, Altars and Mandalas Adjunct professor, U. of Tampa Courses: Insider/Outsider, Multicultural Art
- 1973-Present: Expressive Arts and Storytelling Workshops (all ages): Eckerd College Guest Lecturer, University of South Florida Guest Lecturer, The Salvador Dali Museum, the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts, The Tampa Museum of Fine Arts, Florida Elder Hostel Programs, Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco and Manatee County Schools, Pinellas and Hillsborough County Arts Councils, Florida Humanities Council , all the Art Centers in Pinellas County (sampling)
- 1980-Present Storytelling Performances: Tampa Recreation Festivals: International Festival, Santa Fest, Hillsborough County Storytelling Festival, Tampa Bay Storytelling Guild Tellebration (sampling)
- Professional Associations:
- PAVA Pinellas Association of Visual Artists
- Tampa Bay Storytelling Guild
- Florida Storytelling Association
- Religious Affiliation:
- Throughout the weekend savor the atmosphere of woman space, dip into the suggestions for future projects, and fascinate yourself with the many ritual sourcebooks from Lynn Carol’s lending library.
Facilitator: Lynn Carol Henderson
Co-Facilitator: Leslie Rigg
Biographical Statement of Lynn Carol Henderson
- More can be seen at: http://www.enigmaartstudio.com
Leslie Rigg has been attending UUW &R retreats and conferences for approximately 8 years. In the course of her life, Leslie has studied/participated in Arica, Unity, Iroquois medicine, A Course in Miracles, Sufi dancing, and multiple styles of personal growth training including dance and movement. She has previously led workshops in a variety of disciplines, from IT training to 12-Step weekends. She is currently exploring the offering of a new personal growth venture, YAGATTAWANNA, which may be seen at http://www.yagattawanna.org