The Full Cupboard of Life remains my favorite of Alexander McCall Smith's books. It is philosophical, a "glass half full" story that I expect to read as often as I read The Secret Garden. (see below)-- I love books that make me cry with happiness and with the realization of just how full of peace and plenty my life really is.
The Secret of Roan Inish by Rosalie Fry is a modern day fairy tale, a great read-to-your-child story (target audience 9 and up). Fiona yearns for the peace of the island life that she and the island’s inhabitants were forced to leave, and for her baby brother, whose cradle floated away as they were leaving. As I said, a fairy tale. With a happy ending. Both book and the movie that was made of it are charming. No violence.
Night Gardening by E. L. Swann centers on the romance between an aging woman recovering from a stroke and the landscape architect who is working next door. Lots of great gardening factoids. If this had been "One Woman's Garden Journal" I would have liked it better.
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett: an unhappy little girl, her invalid cousin, and the healing power of friendship and love. How can anyone NOT love this book? It has mystery, sadness, a nasty little girl, a couple of sympathetic secondary characters and one whiney spoiled (abandoned at home) child who gently teach Mary Lennox how to be a human being.
Submitted by Anne Slater, First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia
- JPDWR - Dissolved in 2011
- .....and another thing
- 2007 Fall Retreat Report
- 2008 Fall Retreat
- 2008 Retreat - Tell me more!
- 2008 Retreat Leader - Sarah Campbell
- 2009 Retreat: We are fully booked!
- 2010 Fall Retreat!
- 2010 Retreat Registration Form
- 2011 Schedule
- A hot dish for a cold night
- A Taste of Cakes: RETREAT CANCELLED
- Baltimore Drumming Circle 1/31!!
- Becoming Women of Wisdom: New Curriculum READY!!
- Drumming Circle Coming: March 13th!
- Drumming Circle March 19th: SAVE THE DATE!
- Drumming in Harrisburg
- Facilitators' Circle
- Finding God/dess in Autism: A sermon
- Friday Oct 15 Sacred Dance/Sacred Drumming
- Meditation: Hanging in there!
- Meet Sheri Philpott, new to the Facilitators' Circle
- October 2008 Retreat info
- October 2010 Retreat a Rousing Success!
- Places to Go Dates to Keep
- Poetry Corner
- Recommended Books and Movies
- Retreat Center
- Retreat Ruminations
- Role of Women's Spirituality in Creating a Sustainable Future
- Sister to Sister
- The Blue Cotton Gown: A Midwife's Memoir
- Who does she think she is?: Documentary Film
- Women and Mythology Conference 4/23-25